The Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi has termed his talks with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani as fruitful.
India and Iran on Saturday signed nine agreements in different areas after delegation-level talks between PM Modi and President Rouhani in New Delhi.
The fields in which the agreements were inked include extradition treaty, Chabahar port, medicine and agriculture.
In a joint statement, Modi said, he had a fruitful discussion with Dr. Rouhani on a wide range of issues of mutual interest. He said, the Iranian President's visit will further deepen and strengthen bilateral ties.
Modi also said, both countries would like to see a prosperous and terror-free Afghanistan. He said, India and Iran are connected by common Sufi strain and want the region to be free of terror.
The Prime Minister also thanked Mr Rouhani for providing leadership in developing Chabahar Port which is a gateway to Central Asia.
Both leaders also released a special postal stamp. Earlier in the day, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj called on the visiting dignitary and discussed ways to strengthen co-operation in energy, connectivity, IT, education, culture and people-to-people contact.
The Iranian President was accorded a ceremonial reception at Rashtrapati Bhawan Saturday morning. He also visited Rajghat to pay tributes to Father of the Nation Mahatma Gandhi.
Rouhani will meet President Ram Nath Kovind and Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu later on Saturday.
The Iranian President, who is on three-day visit to India, arrived in New Delhi last night after his stay in Hyderabad.
Showing posts with label Afghanistan. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Afghanistan. Show all posts
Saturday, February 17, 2018
Talks with Iranian President Fruitful : PM Modi
February 17, 2018
Afghanistan, Agriculture, Hyderabad, India, Iran, Medicine, Minister, Narendra Modi, New Delhi, President
No comments
Wednesday, February 07, 2018
Another Attack by US Shows Its Earnestness
The United States government has shown yet again that its
resolve to fight terrorism is not just rhetoric but a serious preposition. US
bombers have struck multiple Taliban targets in a new air offensive over the
past four days in far northeastern Afghanistan near the China and Tajikistan
borders.
Ever since Donald Trump has assumed charge as the President
of US, he has repeatedly talked about fighting terror.
The Southern Command said in a statement that the strikes
hit Taliban training facilities in Badakhshan province, preventing the planning
and rehearsal of terrorist acts. The bombing also destroyed vehicles that it
said the Taliban took from the Afghan National Army and were turning into
vehicle-born explosive devices.
The strikes were carried out in part by a US Air Force B-52
Stratofortress, which dropped 24 guided munitions. The Southern Command, which
oversees US military activities in the Middle East and Afghanistan, said it
continues to carry out strikes against the Taliban and its support networks in
Helmand Province in the south of the country as well.
Strikes and raids by US and Afghan forces have resulted in
the removal of more than 30 million Dollars of Taliban revenue since the
campaign began in November, 2017, the Command said.
US Defense Secretary James Mattis, defending the 16-year-old war in
Afghanistan in a hearing by the House Armed Services Committee, said that the
new US strategy of training and advisory support to local troops has the strong
backing of NATO allies helping the effort.The number of allies in Afghanistan
has actually grown to 41, he said.
Saturday, January 27, 2018
A Barbaric and Dastardly Act
The suicide blast that killed at least 95
people and wounded 158 others in Kabul is a barbaric and dastardly
act. It reminds us that Taliban terrorism has not disappeared from
the war-ravaged country Afghanistan completely. This follows the
cowardly terror attack on the children and civilians in Jalalabad on
24 January.
India has strongly condemned the terrorist
attacks in Kabul. The attacks have targeted innocent civilians and
the wounded under treatment. There can be no justification for such
reprehensible attacks. The perpetrators of these attacks and their
supporters should be brought to justice. Indians stands in solidarity
with the government and the people of Afghanistan at this difficult
times of mindless violence and terror imposed on them.
The attackers drove an ambulance laden
with explosives past a police checkpoint into a street that was only
open to government workers. The driver passed through one checkpoint
by claiming to be escorting a patient to the hospital. He set off the
explosives at the second checkpoint. It happened near the old
Interior Ministry building and offices of the European Union and High
Peace Council.
Government offices, businesses, a school and a hospital are close
to the site of attack. The vibrations of the attack could be felt
several kilometres away.
Witnesses say the area - home to foreign embassies and the city's
police headquarters - was crowded with people when the bomb exploded
today. Plumes of smoke were seen from around the city. The
International Committee of the Red Cross said the use of an ambulance
was harrowing.
Just four days ago, explosions and heavy gunfire
rocked Kabul's Intercontinental Hotel on Sunday killing at least 40
people. The victims also included a number of foreigners. The
heavily-guarded luxury hotel was popular among foreigners and Afghan
officials.
The siege started on Saturday night and lasted 13
hours. The Taliban has claimed responsibility for the attack which
saw more than 150 guests flee.
Witnesses said the gunmen were dressed in army
uniforms, but it was unclear how many were involved. The government
said three gunmen were killed while witnesses said four were involved
and the Taliban said five.
The Intercontinental Hotel, an imposing 1960s
structure set on a hilltop and heavily protected like most public
buildings in Kabul, was previously attacked by Taliban fighters in
2011. While it shares the same name, the hotel in Kabul is not part
of InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG), which issued a statement in
2011 saying that "the hotel Inter-continental in Kabul is not
part of IHG and has not been since 1980".
The assaults being carried out by Haqqani Network
terrorists underlines the need to effectively deal with the issue of
safe havens to terrorists in our neighbourhood.
US Indicts Pakistan Again for Terrorism Links
January 27, 2018
Afghanistan, Donald Trump, International, Pakistan, Taliban, terrorism, US
No comments
Ever
since President Donald Trump has arrived at the helm, the United
States has taken many steps against Pakistan, the scourge on the
humanity, for harboring terrorism. The latest in the series is
slapping of sanctions on four Taliban and two Haqqani network leaders
for terrorist activities. This is again an indictment of Pakistan for its links
with terrorism activities that has troubled its two neighbors –
India and Afghanistan.
The
US has said that Pakistan must work with the US to deny the terror
groups safe haven on its soil and target their funding. All six have
been designated as global terrorists by the US Department of
Treasury. All property and interests in property of these persons
subject to US jurisdiction are blocked and the US citizens are
prohibited from engaging in transactions with them.
The
four Taliban leaders include Abdul Samad Sani, Abdul Qadeer Basir,
Abdul Baseer, Hafiz Mohammed Popalzai, and Maulawi Inayatullah, while
Haqqani network leaders as Faqir Muhammad and Gula Khan Hamidi.
Under
Secretary for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence, Sigal Mandelker
said the Trump administration is targeting six individuals related to
the Taliban or Haqqani Network who have been involved in attacks on
coalition troops, smuggling of individuals or financing these
terrorist groups.
He
said the action supports the President Donald Trump's South Asia
Strategy by disrupting terrorist organisations and publically
exposing individuals who facilitate their activities.
This
comes in the wake of a top commander of the Haqqani network along
with two others being killed by a US drone attack. The drone struck a
home near Pakistan's restive tribal Kurram agency bordering
Afghanistan.Haqqani Network Commander Ehsan alias Khawari and two of
his companions were killed during the strike. The drone strikes,
carried out by US spy planes, targeted on the Haqqani Network hideout
in the North .
US
President Donald Trump had announced a new Afghan policy in August,
in which Pakistan was accused of offering safe havens to agents of
chaos.