Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Dehu Won't Host Dow

Dehu will host more programs this years coinciding with the 400th birth anniversary of Sant Tukaram. Though it is in the news for wrong reasons for quite some time, Dehu is more known for Sant Tukaram, one of the spiritual gurus of Chhatrapati Shivaji. Even after more than 300 years since Tukram left this earth, the town is heavy with the spirit of the sant who was more interested in his devotion than the worldly attachments.  

Three days ago, much of the state government was present in this town to commemorate 400th birth anniversary. The issue of Dow Research Centre coming near Bhandara Hills, where Tukaram used to meditate and compose his abhangas came up at the event. At that time, Chief Minister Ashok Chavan catgorically stated that Dow's centre will be shifted elsewhere.  That will put a heated debate to rest hopefully.
From Dehu

I was in Dehu on 22 December. I visited the temple where Tukaram used to worship Panduranga or Viththal. A scenic but quite an unclean river flows from near this temple. The build of the temple is quite old fashioned but offeres a soothing view to the eyes of a man like me who is forced to spend his days in the concrete jungle. 
From Dehu
When I completed the darshan, I was eager to click this man who was studiosly performing his duty. It was his job to recite the god's name without heeding the number of people. When I was just to click him, I found him also staring at him. I wanted to click him without getting his conscious but failed to do so. The I gave up and after taking his photo, chatted a little. He was pleased to speak with him. Later I was surprised to know that he is also from Marathwada, from where I am. 
From Dehu
Even built in old styles, temples in Dehu are being neglected like elsewhere. The main temple where the idols of Panduranga and Rukmini are placed is very dilapidated now. 
From Dehu
Indrayani flows through Dehu. It is the same river which flows through Alandi, another holy town known for Sant Dnayneshwar. In Dehu, the river has more significance as it is said that the Brahmins who did not like Tukaram's teaching and making spirituality open for all, immersed his books in the river. Tukaram then started fasting on the banks of the Indrayani. Three day later, all the books containing Tukaram's abhangas seen flating in the river. The spot where all this drama took place is shown even today. Even the spot from where Tukaram is said to have ascended to Vaikuntha has a temple now. 
From Dehu
A new temple dedicated to the works of Tukaram is coming up near Dehu now. It is made in marble and each wall of the temple has abhangas of Tukaram inscripted in it. I will always remember this temple for two reasons. One, it is here that I got a call from my friend informing me that he has lost his job and second, my footwears were stolen from this place. I have to come back to town barefoot and buy a new pair of chappals because of that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment