Wednesday, March 16, 2011

So Sorry For Japan...

Photo courtesy: AP & Yahoo News
After World War II, Japan was always seen as a role model for the developing countries. For an Indian like me, the country had a special space because of its cultural affinity to us.

Radio Japan was the first international radio station which I started listening to in 1992. Soon, I was hooked to it and got to know many interesting things about this 'land of cherries'. That also prompted me to try learning that language in 1993.

Even after trying for six or so years, I could not make much progress on that front. My knowledge of Japanese never went beyond Sumimasen and Arigato or Dozo Yoroshiku.

But that did not deter me from loving this tiny nation with highest moral character possible. When the deadly quake wiped off much of country's wealth during last week, all those memories came back to me. During this time, one of the comments on a news item made me think.

The anonymous writer said, 'Even after so much destruction and chaos, there was no chaos or looting. That speak volume about the character of the nation.”

I could not agree more. Having gone through so many natural tragedies made us Indian admire more and more the tiny but great nation on this earth. Japan...we are so sorry for you!

0 comments:

Post a Comment